Countdown to Coverage: December 15 Deadline for January 1 Coverage
We’re down to the wire if you need new health insurance to start on January 1, 2015. Today, December 15, is the final day to enroll if you need insurance coverage to start at the beginning of the year. If you are not ready to sign up today, you still have until February 15 to get 2015 coverage.
Here’s what you need to do today to get the best plan to meet your needs:
If you’re enrolling through the Marketplace for the first time:
- Visit healthcare.gov to review the available plans and prices for 2015.
- Have your social security number (and the numbers of eligible family members) and your most recent W-2 or pay stubs on hand.
- Have your current plan information available (if applicable) to help you shop more effectively.
- Complete your Marketplace application, and find out your eligibility for any tax credits and other savings.
- Select and purchase your plan today for coverage to start on January 1, 2015.
And if you already have a Marketplace plan you need to do the following:
- Review your current plan’s 2015 health coverage and costs. You should have received a letter in the mail from your plan describing any changes.
- Log into your Marketplace account to update your application. The 2015 application will be pre-filled with most of the information you provided in 2014. Update the application with any changes to your income, household, eligibility for other insurance, and other information.
- Compare the health plans available to you in 2015. Get your new eligibility results, which will tell you which health coverage programs you qualify for and any premium tax credits and other savings.
- Choose to renew or select a new plan that best meets your needs.
- Enroll in the health plan you want today for coverage to start January 1, 2015.
If you need assistance, contact the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325), or visit LocalHelp.HealthCare.gov to find someone in your community who can help you.
You can still enroll for health insurance for 2015 through February 15, 2015. The entire enrollment timeline is available here.
Written by Anne Dunkelberg, Center for Public Policy Priorities. Cross-posted from the Better Texas blog.